Frequently Asked Questions.
New to organized Minor Hockey? Here are some answers to the more commonly asked questions.
1) What is Chips? Canadian Hockey Initiation Program [CHIP]
for more info see OMHA website for details click here...
2) What are try-outs? These are optional. For a small additional cost at the beginning of the season if your player would like the chance to play for a Representative Team (rep). There are additional cost if the player is selected to play for these teams, "rep fee". Any player not selected can still play for House or Local League teams.
3) What will hockey cost?
- Equipment can be bought for as little as couple hundred dollars especially if you go with used equipment many many players do.
- Chips programs for the younger players (under 7) is currently around the $2-300 range.
- Rep you can expect to cost you $2-5000.00 or possibly more and takes into account cost of hotel stays, travel cost, tournaments etc.
- House league for Novice, games and practices are all in Collingwood (tournaments are optional) so additional cost are minimal.
- Local League teams will be somewhere between Rep and House League costs. There is some traveling involved to other centers for example Midland, Owen Sound, Stayner.
4) Why do I have to buy a "pass" or pay an entry fee to see my kids games. The Georgian Bay League sets a price for all the centers to charge and is a nominal amount to raise funds to pay for Referees and other team expenses for example tournaments.
If you have suggestions for the FAQ page please email [email protected]